Welcome to Rachel's Sweets and Treats!

100% homemade treats from scratch! No box mixes, bag mixes, or anything from a can, and I love to test out new ingredients and recipes!

Any suggestions, comments, or requests?
email me! rachellovesbaking@gmail.com

Search for a treat!

Saturday, March 31, 2012

RECIPES INCLUDED: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread & Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

I love making banana breads. They are versatile, can be made healthier at no expense to the flavor or texture, freeze well, and are moist & delicious!

Since I make banana breads so often, I decided to start experimenting more with varieties. On the left below is a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and on the right is a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Banana Bread!

Both are whole wheat, contain no butter or oil, and are reduced sugar (note: reduced sugar = less sugar than the original recipe. However, they are by no means low in sugar!)
I made two mini loaves and one big loaf of each kind. Some of them I gave to people as gifts, like this one:

I cut the big ones each in half. I brought one half of each to work, and kept the other half of each for me and my roommates! Below, the left loaf is the peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread, and the right is the pumpkin chocolate chip banana bread.

The gooey middle is my favorite part...
I am so pleased with how they came out! Moist, tasty, flavorful, chocolatey!
And now, for the recipes! I have never put up recipes before; however, I've gotten many requests to do so. After some thinking, I decided I'm going to start posting them! Just promise you'll still come to my bakery when I open it!! ;)

Here they are!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 T baking powder (I know, it seems like a lot. You're reading right though-- Tablespoon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup ripe banana, mashed (about 2)
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
6-10oz chocolate chips (I use mini ones!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate large bowl, combine the applesauce, sugars, peanut butter, and banana. Stir until combined. Beat in eggs. Pour in milk and vanilla. Then, add the flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
Pour batter into loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until cooked through (the center should spring back when pressed lightly with your finger). Cool in loaf pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 15oz can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup mashed banana (about 2)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
6-10oz chocolate chips (I use minis!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugars, banana, and vanilla. Add eggs and stir until well combined. Then, add the flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
Pour batter into loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until cooked through (the center should spring back when pressed lightly with your finger). Cool in loaf pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment